SCHOOL AND GROUP PROGRAMS
Hi! Please check back frequently or stay up to date with our Facebook Page, as our team is currently developing new virtual, state and local Challenger programs to further assist teachers, parents and homeschoolers in teaching STEM.
For details feel free to call us! 907-283-2000
Imagination + Education = Innovation
The Challenger Learning Center of Alaska is a vital and valuable educational resource for our state and is recognized as a strong component of our state educational system. Our center provides a highly successful on-site and distance learning environment unlike any other in Alaska. We inspire students to study science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) through a medium of space and earth sciences education. Students are encouraged to pursue higher educational goals and opportunities that will better prepare them for success in a global 21st century workplace. This highly developed and technologically advanced facility provides educational opportunities tailor-made to the geographical diversity of our state while meeting the statewide academic standards.
CLCA Simulations & STEM
New Program Highlights
Challenger Learning Center of Alaska continues to develop programs that help teachers meet the needs of their students in an ever-changing world. We have put together a series of virtual, week-long programs, based on our award-winning Alaska Meets Bermuda program. This program brings a CLCA Flight Director virtually into your in-person or virtual classroom for the week, 1 1/2 hours a day. Through teamwork and collaboration, students explore a variety of topics and work together to brainstorm solutions and solve challenges using the materials we send to them.
These sessions are meant for up to 15 students per group to provide for the highest level of student interaction and engagement, but can be expanded somewhat for a whole class with a participating instructor. There are several themes to choose from and each Teacher’s program can be completely customized to best fit your needs! If you prefer the program can also be anywhere from 1 day to the full 5 days a week, and can be expanded to 2, 3 or even 4 hours of online instruction/activity time with the students and our Flight Director.
To build your custom virtual Challenger class today, call or email Suzanne Phillips, Director of Educational Operations at 907-283-1508, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This material is based in part upon work supported by NASA through the Alaska Space Grant program (80NSSC20M0070)
*FREE UNTIL END OF YEAR 2020* CHOOSE AVAILABLE TOPICS BELOW* 1 TO 5 DAY PROGRAM LENGTH* EMAIL SUZANNE.PHILLIPS@AKCHALLENGER.ORG TO BOOK
- Planetary Exploration – Students learn about our Sun and the planets that orbit it. Students will learn about each individual planet and explore the excitement and challenges of exploration through robotics. A closer look at two planets will go more in depth into the challenges of life on such an alien world.
- Things that MOVE! – In this program, students explore the variety of forces that affect us in our daily life. They will explore Newton’s Laws of Motion and Gravity, as well as issues surrounding navigation and stability.
- Moon, Mars and Beyond – We look at NASA’s goal of returning a man and sending the first woman to the Moon, and the plans to extend our reach to Mars and beyond. We will explore the Orion program and look at the challenges of a permanent outpost on the Moon.
- Oil Spill Clean Up – This program is a one-day program that looks at the environmental impact of an oil spill, and the challenges of recovering. Students team up as Environmental Engineers to determine a method to contain an oil spill, and then recover the oil.
All workshops include hands-on activities and materials that explore the engineering design process
Other Possible Theme Ideas
- Exploring Biodiversity in Ecosystems
- Weather and Climate – What’s the difference?
- Energy Flows: How energy moves and transforms through Organisms and their Environment
- Genetics is Everything
- Natural Selection
- Space Science – What Causes the Seasons, Shadows, Phases of the Moon, and More!
- What is it? Structure & Properties of Matter
- Things That Go Boom: Chemical Reactions
- Energy Forms and Transformation
We can also come to You!
If E-Missions are not your thing and you can’t come in for a Mission in our state-of-the-art simulator, don’t worry, we will come to you! The Challenger Learning Center offers a variety of STEM infused lessons including Robotics, Rocketry, Astronomy and Living in Space just to name a few. We will also customize programs to meet your schools needs. Our programs emphasize collaboration and critical thinking and encourage creativity and development of communication skills. We also offer a variety of team building challenges to build confidence, encourage leadership and build trust.
Contact us for more information and pricing!
Do you homeschool or looking for extra activities for your child? Check our Individual Programs
We do parties too! Also dorm rentals, meetings and events
Adults can have fun too! Retreats, team building, missions and more!